Practical Tips for Spiritual Warriors
by Bruce Gordon
- The battle never goes away – Assume that it is fierce, even if it doesn’t seem so.
- Remember the roles of the world, the flesh and the devil.
- Cultivate your closeness to the Lord, your dialogue with the Holy Spirit. Pray much in the Spirit
- Don’t let your guard down, ever. Recall where the enemy is prone to come after you, and take protective measures accordingly. Take special note of areas of temptation, relational weaknesses, witchcraft attacks, etc..
- Develop your own Scriptural prayers, affirmations and weapons. Get used to seeing aspects of more Scriptures that can be used for prayer, affirmation, attack, rescue, faith.
- Develop an attitude of a warrior, one who is always on the alert for offense and defense.
- Watch your emotions – be aware of whether you are walking in faith or fear, peace or turmoil, holiness or sin.
- Watch whether you are staying in the Word and prayer and praise, or whether these are slipping.
- Remember that radical surrender, radical obedience, radical availability are keys to spiritual effectiveness.
- Consider periodic self-deliverance for ongoing house cleaning and maintenance of peak effectiveness
- If the enemy seems to repeatedly attack a certain place or manner, seek the Lord as to how to cut off these attacks. There may be a need for repentance, renunciation, prayer or focused ministry to gain more freedom.
- From time to time do a thorough house cleaning, on your dwelling and your life.
- 1 Thess. 5:17 Pray without ceasing (KJV). Pray continually (NIV). Never stop praying (GOD’S WORD® Translation)
- Study to understand warfare (the wars of Moses, Joshua, Samuel => Chron. As well as encounters in the Gospels & Acts)
- 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.
- Be willing to pray any price for more freedom, more victory. Denying self is key – Mat. 16:24 – Mark 8:34 – Luke 9:23
- Watch any tendencies towards spiritual apathy, carelessness, lack of altertness, people pleasing or the fear of man (Prov. 29:25)
- Cover yourself in the blood of Christ. Ask the Father for angelic protection. Pray in the Sprit as much as possible.
- Be in fellowship with people who understand warfare, and can encourage you and speak the Word to you.
- Be in the Word and read it prayerfully, asking the Holy Spirit to apply it deeply to your life.
- Be aware of how you thought life is going – beware of tendencies towards dwelling on things that will impede your ability to stand in faith and have a clear head and a calm spirit.
- Make sure you are getting enough sleep, rest & refreshment, and pay attention to diet and lifestyle factors, as well as stress. Ask the Holy Spirit how to improve your lifestyle, possibly do research with friends or online. Cultivate healthy spirit, soul, body.
- Be willing to cut ties to any media, influences, or toxic relationships that are impeding your ability to function as a warrior.
- Be willing to grow in your ability and experience in binding and loosing, commanding healing & deliverance, intercession.
- Watch the words of your mouth. Prov. 8:21
- Stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Cor. 15:58